Sunday, January 06, 2008

Pie in the Sky

So I watched Waitress on Friday. People kept telling me I should watch it because, well, I'm pigeon-holed into a pie-maker. It was an interesting movie. Partially related with reality, yet there were scenes so obviously fake it made it look almost overdramatized--like Broadway or something.

Anyways, it did inspire me to make a pie out of ingredients in my house. So, without further adieu, I will share how I made my candied strawberry pie.

1 pkg. of crushed graham crackers
1/4 c. raspberry preserves

Mix well and moosh around on a greased pie plate. Bake btwn 325 and 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes in the oven.

1/2 pkg. semi sweet choc. chips
1/2 c. 2% milk

Heat milk until boiling. Whisk in choc. chips until melty & consistency is gooey. Add some vanilla flavoring. Spread mixture on graham cracker crust.

1 pkg fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and blended
1 c. sugar (I would halve this next time)
3 T. cornstarch
1/2 - 1 c. water
(Next time I would add at least 2 T. lemon juice)

Mix cornstarch, water and sugar in double-pan boiler. Add strawberries and lemon juice. Heat on stovetop until thickened. Pour over chocolated crust. Chill until set.

Future notes (besides listed above):

I would lighten this by adding less sugar. Also, I would vary this by making a lemon-strawberry pudding for the inside of the crust and without the chocolate covering. Ah well, that is part of the fun, eh? Next time, we'll chat about soup.

No comments: